Saturday, July 30, 2011

Lemony Orzo Veggie Salad

This is a recipe I modified from one I found at cookinglight.com. It was so delicious that I went ahead and made a second batch with even better results. This is great for summer.

Ingredients:
 
3/4 cup uncooked orzo
1/4 teaspoon Spice Island’s lemon peel
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon honey
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 cups shredded chicken
1/2 cup diced English cucumber
1/2 cup prechopped pepper
1/3 cup chopped red onion- optional
1 tablespoon dillweed
1/2 cup (2 ounces) feta cheese


Cook the orzo according to the package. 
 While it cooks, shred the chicken and set aside. Then mix together lemon peel, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, and honey.  Recipes generally call for fresh squeezed lemon juice. I use Kroger's concentrated lemon juice because I'm too lazy to squeeze lemons.
 Drain the pasta and rinse with cold water.
 Chop the vegetables. Really you can chop as much as you want. The second time I made it I left out the onion and added more pepper since Jon hates onion. Cherry tomatoes might be nice in this if you like tomatoes. I certainly don't.
 Toss the pasta in the lemon juice mixture. It won't seem like enough to coat but it is, I swear.
 Add the chicken and veggies and sprinkle with dillweed. Toss lightly.
 I divided mine up in containers to store in the fridge and sprinkled the feta on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment