Sunday, July 24, 2011

Honey Dijon Salmon and Stuffed Mushrooms

So I made these awesome banana chocolate muffins and put chocolate ganache over the top. They were freaking delicious. I was going to post about them and then I lost the recipe. I've looked everywhere and can't find it. It threw me off my groove! Here's a picture of them and I swear if I ever find the recipe I'll post about them because I will immediately make them again. Until then, I'll just be sad about it.


In the meantime, last week I made honey dijon salmon and stuffed mushrooms. The salmon got an A plus plus plus plus except my salmon portions were too big. I got a couple of fillets from Indigo Farms Seafood and was in a hurry and just asked for whatever they had. Next time I'll get smaller portions for sure. The mushrooms need tweaking but were okay.

The salmon:

 
8 tablespoons honey
4 tablespoons dijon mustard
4 tablespoons warm water
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 teaspoons low sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Combine the above and whisk together. Easy peasy.

Grill the fillets skin side up first and then when you flip brush them with the sauce. Grill for 5 minutes on each side or until reaches 140-145 degrees.. This makes enough for 2-4 fillets. You will have extra sauce. Keep it for drizzling over the top when it's done.

Then I made the mushrooms:
 1 cup spinach leaves, chopped with stems removed
8 mushrooms
olive oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped very fine
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
salt and pepper

Wash the mushrooms well and set out to dry.
 Then wash spinach and chop pretty fine. Shake any excess water off but don't dry.
 Cook the spinach in a pot for a few minutes, just until wilted down. I then took a paper towel and got some of the excess water off the top.
 Cut the center stem out of the mushrooms. My mushrooms weren't the greatest looking mushrooms in the world and then they got mangled when I cut out the center. Cutting skills, I don't have them.
 Then chop the stems really fine. Take the garlic cloves and chop them fine as well. I didn't chop mine fine enough and that was a big mistake.
 Saute the garlic and mushrooms in a pan with a little olive oil for a 1-2 minutes.
 Then add the spinach and cook another minute.

 Add half the parmesan cheese and the ricotta cheese.
 Mix it all up.
 I also forgot the salt and pepper. Please add the salt and pepper because they needed it. I have a serious problem forgetting to salt stuff. Stuff the mushrooms.
 I baked at 400 degrees for about 8 minutes. In the meantime I was grilling the salmon and made a box of couscous to go along with it. Couscous is seriously easy to make but my Fooducate App gave it a C-. Apparently I shouldn't be eating it but it's so yummy.
 Went to check on the salmon and on my way back in found two cats extremely interested in the fish smell wafting into the house.
 Pull the mushrooms out. They released a lot of their water but were still watery. They were best eaten with a fork.
 I put down the couscous and put some of the honey dijon sauce on the top.
 Then added the salmon and more sauce. Again, you can see how  big the salmon portions were. I couldn't eat it all but it was really good. The mushrooms needed to have the garlic chopped finer and salt and pepper.

2 comments:

  1. For some reason it won't let me sign in and comment. But I want the muffin recipe should you find it. The mushrooms look good too. Mushrooms have grown (not literally) on me. Fish still hasn't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I find it I will post it. They had such a great banana and chocolate flavor and I added pecans. Glad to hear you got on board with mushrooms. I forgot about your seafood hate.

    ReplyDelete