Sunday, June 12, 2011

Pizza on the Grill

Since it's summer I'm trying not to use the oven when I don't have to. We love pizza. We have really missed Domino's since we stopped eating out. Here is my substitute:

Part 1: The Sauce

Whisk together 1 8 oz can tomato sauce and 1 6 oz can of tomato paste. Then I whisk in 1 tsp sugar, 2.5 tsp minced garlic, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/2 tsp oregano, and a dash of salt and pepper. You can really play with the spices here to your own taste. I actually start with that amount of garlic and then just add more garlic salt and minced garlic until I decide it has reached it's appropriate level of garlicness.. If it tastes too bitter add a little extra sugar.

Part 2: The pizza

I just use canned crust. Maybe one day I will make my own but don't hold your breath. I cut it in half to make two medium pizzas. You could do 4 small pizzas.


Brush your grill with olive oil and turn it on medium heat. We grill the pizza about 2-4 minutes on each side. You just want them to be lightly done.


While Jon does this I get out our toppings. You don't want to go crazy with the sauce and toppings. He did spinach, black olives, and feta. I did half spinach and feta, half mushroom and banana pepper.



Then put them back on the grill. We put them on medium heat. Don't do that. They got too dark on the bottom. Next time we are going to try finishing them on low heat. They just have to grill until the cheese is melted.

Enjoy!

I didn't get the best picture because I was in a hurry to eat them. They were really, really good. If I could get the crust right they would be awesome.

1 comment:

  1. You inspired me! We made our grilled pizza with a whole wheat crust, pesto for sauce, grilled chicken and sliced garlic for toppings and Parmesan, mozzarella and ricotta cheeses. It was delicious. A+!

    ReplyDelete