Thursday, June 9, 2011

Peekaboo Jam Muffins

I do cook things that aren't muffins (this weekend I'm going to make pizza on the grill). My husband took all of the other muffins to work so I had to make myself some more for breakfast. I got this recipe from www.cookingwithmykid.com.

Mix 2 cups flour, 1/3 cup of sugar, 1 tablespoon of baking powder, and a pinch of salt. I always measure my flour out over a paper towel so I can then pour the excess back into the flour bag. Maybe everyone does this. My mom totally taught me that though.


Then I mixed half a cup of fat free yogurt, 2 eggs, and a 1/2 cup vegetable oil in a measuring cup. I bought the yogurt for the express purpose of making these muffins but ended up using it for 2 other recipes. This was pretty much the last of it.




Then I combined the wet and dry ingredients until just mixed.




These are the two jams I bought for this. One is apricot and the other is berry. Despite my best efforts I could not get the apricot open. Even my handy dandy jar opener didn't work.




Now is the fun part. I put a layer of muffin mix, made a thumbprint and added jam. Then I covered the jam with another layer of muffin batter. Tada!





They baked at 400 degrees for 13 minutes. They were yummy! The warm jam was really nice inside but the muffin part was a pretty dense.





They had 255 calories according to my iPhone app and got a 7 out of 10 from me just because they were so easy to make and fairly yummy. If they had been harder to make I probably wouldn't have been as pleased.

Edited: I tried another one after they cooled and was just not impressed. Once the jam cooled down it wasn't as good. The muffin part got a little dry.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know what mom uses now since she no longer uses paper towels, but I totally do the same thing because that is how she always did it. I can't wait to see how the pizza turns out.

    ReplyDelete