Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Cream Cheese Raspberry Muffins

So today me and my feeble kitchen skills decided to try making some raspberry muffins. I love raspberries. I love muffins. Sounded like a winner.

Recipes generally tell you to cream ingredients first and then add the dry ingredients. I always mix my dry ingredients first since it bores me. I mixed 3/4 cup flour, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, 1/8 teaspoon baking soda, and 1/8 teaspoon salt. I don't have an 1/8 of a teaspoon measuring spoon so I had to eyeball those.

Next up I creamed 1 package cream cheese, 2 tablespoons of butter, and 1/2 cup of sugar. I have been dying to try the Homestead Creamery butter so I bought some for this. It's made locally in Virginia and I can only find it at Kroger.


Then my recipe told me to add an egg and an egg white and beat that in as well. I had to google "how to get an egg white." Google informed me to crack the egg in half and pass the yolk back and forth between the sides while letting the white drip into a bowl. It totally worked. Thank you, Google!

Next up was 3 tablespoons of buttermilk and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla. I also got the Homestead Creamery buttermilk. I haven't had buttermilk in years. I decided to try it, thinking it would taste awful. It totally tasted awful. Gross.



After beating in the vanilla and buttermilk I added the dry ingredients just until moistened. Then I folded in a cup of raspberries. They got a little squished. I was suppose to bake for 25-28 minutes at 350 but my oven bakes hot. I baked for 23 minutes and that was enough.



I don't have a cooling rack so I had to make one up with the microwave rack and Jon's Crunch Berry boxes. We haven't bought Crunch Berries in a long time so I do not know why I still have two empty boxes on top of the fridge. Came in handy though.

I ate one and they were okay. The raspberries turned out a little slimy for my taste. The actual muffin part was really good though. I give them a 5 out of 10.

1 comment:

  1. I have a thing that separates the eggs from the egg whites, but it doesn't work too well. It is easier just to use the egg shells.

    ReplyDelete