Saturday, August 13, 2011

Bruschetta

I have been a lifelong tomato hater. Unless they are mashed up and made into some sort of sauce or salsa I was not touching them. Then this week we ordered bruschetta at a cafe for dinner and I loved it. I tried to replicate it at home. I had pretty good results but I think I can do better next time.

Ingredients:
Sourdough bread
1 tablespoon Oregano
2 tablespoons Basil
2 tomatoes
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup balsamic vinegar
pepper to taste
mozzarella  cheese

Step 1: Chop up your tomatoes. I chopped them like shown below. Jon thought they were too chunky so he chopped them up some more. Sprinkle with salt and set aside.
Bring balsamic vinegar to a boil and then turn down the heat. You want it to reduce quite a bit. I reduced mine to about half a cup but I was hungry and impatient.
While that is reducing chop your garlic. Or make your husband do it like I did.
Then combine the garlic and olive oil together in a bowl and microwave for 30 seconds.
Toss the tomatoes with the basil, oregano, and oil mixture. Crack some pepper over the top.
I was so hungry that I got into a big hurry and didn't even try to make this look great. I just sliced a couple of bread slices in half. I was suppose to toast it but was just like "I'm hungry!  Forget the toaster!"
Then I topped the bread with the tomatoes.
Then I poured the balsamic vinegar over the top and topped off with slices of mozzarella.
It doesn't look that pretty. It tasted really good. We scarfed it all down. Like I said, so hungry!
Jon says next time we should toast the bread, pour the balsamic vinegar over it, top with tomatoes and mozzarella and pop it in the oven for a few minutes and then top with more balsamic vinegar. Since we have everything we need to make it again I will update after we try that method.

No comments:

Post a Comment